Thursday, May 12, 2011

New Direction

Obviously I haven't posted in awhile...there hasn't been that much to say regarding the kids and how our lives pertain to the (now very) small fact that they were adopted from Ukraine.

In a way, I can't believe we're at that point. I remember all too well how all consuming the process was. I guess it was like a very, very long pregnancy and now that the kids have been here almost 4 1/2 years stalking adoption blogs and the mailman and updating countless documents has officially moved to the distant past for me.

My days now are occupied with NJ ASK tests, compiling wardrobes that far surpass mine in quantity and cost, karate, dance recitals and camp registration.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Unfortunately, it appears that adoptions from Ukraine are really slowing down to a trickle and that makes me very sad. It isn't for lack of great kids needing homes. I want to believe it's because Ukraine is doing more to place children in need with Ukrainian families and not with political b.s., but I can't help shake the memories of all of those beautiful faces so in need of love. You can't (at least I can't) adequately describe how heart wrenching it is to see so MANY children try so hard to get the smallest scrap of attention for you. From the toddler who simply walks up to you with his arms in the air and a pleading look on his face for you to just pick him up and comfort him to the 7 year old who snuggles closer and closer to you while you are visiting the lucky kids you are adopting just so she can rest her head on your arm for a minute and the teenager almost aged out of the system at 14 who is already developing a hollow eyed, hardened
look who reaches out to touch your hair so very, very gently when she thinks you won't notice.

As a Mother, those images are burned into my very soul and will never become a part of my distant past........

I've decided to take this blog into a different direction because my life and that of the family I've created is also moving in a different direction.

Basically, it'll be all about ME (try not to be shocked) and how I fumble my way through the most important job in the Universe. (Apparently, God doesn't check references)

I'll rant, I'll rave and discuss all the big issues........but mainly my attempts to get my groove back.

Consider yourselves warned.

Any suggestions on what I should call this blog? Apparently blogging by 4o somethings is huge and all the cool names seem to be taken.

I'm open to suggestions.

1 comment:

Lisa Hendrickson said...

we are in the process of adopting - would like to talk with you via email if you have time.