Thursday, March 08, 2007

Art Project Hysteria and The Blessed Mother

Sue Ann, thanks for the clarification on the creepy Barbie fairy wings/karaoke thing-yeah, fairy wings that you can wear that come with an attached microphone- makes perfect sense.......

So, Vica came home from school with an art project....... Apparently, they are doing a unit on different countries and each child has to decorate a paper doll and flag for their assigned country.

Vica was assigned Russia...........

Soooooooooo, since Matt was going to school for parent/teacher conferences that night, I asked him if he could NICELY ask the teacher if Vica could do Ukraine, I thought it might be nice since I had every intention of decorating, I mean HELPING Vica decorate her doll in traditional Ukrainian costume and having her color the Ukrainian Flag ANYWAY.... I thought maybe I won't make a statement, just this once- but they also have to write three facts about the country they are doing- Ooooooooooh, WHAT fun I coulda had with THAT one if I let her do Russia.


hhhhhmmmm, let's see..... "From 1932-1933, Soviet Dictator Joseph Stalin's policy of forced collectivization created an artificial famine which resulted in the deaths of 6 to 7 million Ukrainians....

Oh, yeah- that would really win my kid some popularity points wouldn't it????? And Matt STILL wonders why I won't join the PTA- how fast do you think they'd kick me out???

Of course all of this is in good fun- but after I went out and bought "supplies" for our paper doll, Matt tried to ruin my fun by informing me that Vica was supposed to do the project.

Where, I ask you, is the fun in that??? I guess I've got to let her help a little.....

Today, I was in the kitchen washing dishes while Vica was unpacking her backpack from school. Natasha was talking a mile a minute for a full five minutes, I assumed she was talking to Vica until I walked into the living room and saw her conversing at great length with a figurine of the Blessed Mother that Matt had given me for Mother's Day several years ago. She was talking VERY animatedly to Her- I thought it was pretty cute and thought the nuns who taught me at Saint Nick's are probably all smiling down from Heaven over that one since I was such a "holy" child while I was there- hhhhhaahhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

Back to the parent/teacher conferences the other night. Vica's teacher and ESL teacher were both extremely relieved when Matt told them that we had every single intention of having Vica repeat the 1st grade next year. I guess they get a lot of parents pushing to have the child moved up to the next grade before they are ready. We want Vica to continue to enjoy school as much as she does now, once she gets English up and running, then we'll worry about how she's progressing academically- although, I don't think that's going to be a problem at all. Right now we're just concentrating on her learning new English words every day. She's still enthusiastic about going to school every day and comes home all smiles and excitement when I pick her up from the bus.

And that ends the latest chapter of my dull and boring life :)

1 comment:

tom said...

Good for you standing up for Ukraine!!!!