Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Another gray day in Yalta

The weather here has been pretty warm, just a constant, dull gray. It doesn't help that it gets dark around 4, so then you're just killing time until it's time to go to bed.

I don't remember who asked me this question because it's hard to keep all of the blog comments and direct e-mails straight, so I'll just answer here.

Kerch, where our six year old, Vika now lives is about a four hour car ride on a two lane road from here. It is about two miles from the Russian border- makes my nationalistic Ukrainian Mama, verrrrrrrrrrrry nerrrrrvous- and more than a little fiesty to boot- but we've taken to speaking pig latin and now everyone here just things we're REALLY crazy Americans as opposed to the garden variety crazy Americansky..... So, while our translator is in Kyiv, we are spending time in Yalta- which in case you don't own a map of this part of the world is the southern most part of the Crimean area of Ukraine. We visit Natasha every day and with each visit she gets more and more affectionate. To answer your question Jane, Natasha does not remember Vika, but Vika certainly remembers Natasha- she even knew that her little sister lived in Yalta. It should make for a very interesting reunion.

Today we walked to the orphanage with Dad. Natasha just LOVES her Daydushka and will run into his arms without any prompting. She's still playing hard to get with Daddy, but looks for him when he's out of her sight. If she can't find him right away, she goes around screaming at the top of her little lungs PAAAAAAPPPPPAAAAAA!!!! Do I have to tell you how much Matt loves this. She's also getting the concept of kisses. She loves to be loved up! Today not only did we both get spontaneous hugs, but I got many, many smooches from my baby. And I know I don't have to tell you how happy that makes ME!!!!

We are making the best of the circumstances here. We know that the weather could be absolutely horrible and we're catching a break as far as that goes, but we miss home something terrible. The bright spot of our day is seeing our girls, but like I've said before. When I'm loving up one, I'm missing the other. I worry if Vika is okay while I'm here and I'm always in a state of being torn between these two places. Just want to get through this week and court and then start the countdown. Can't wait to have them both together, give them a LONG HOT bath and dress them in brand new clothes. They are both very girly girls and love having their hair done up with barettes and hair bands.

Absolute Mama Nirvana!

Okay, and now a word from Matt-

Hey everyone//whats up? Sorry we sent a blog update on a Sunday..we know you guys at schol enjoy reading it aloud Period 2, Period 4 in the junglwe room and teacher's room. I wish we had more gossip and tawdry stories for you, bu we don't.It's great to hear that you guys are following our travels. Thank god I brought Everybody Loves Raymond with us on dvd....It makes those late insomniac nights easier. I know this is a short week for you guys, and I hope you guys continue to follow us over the christmas break..If someone could please post the blog site again in each teacher's room, that would be great. We miss everyone!!!!!

Now....for all my students following the blog, and even if you aren't I'm sure someone will get the message to you.....

Period 1....You boys being good? Battaglia, Condal, Kapo< Denicholo
Melanie and Laura...you keeping them in line? Have fun and stay on top of your work.

Period 3...Harris and Hodulik...Hodulik-a detention? Leventhal and Naef, you paying attention? Kacperowski..you keeping things in line there for me?

Period 4...Gillian..thanks for the emails. Sounds like you guys are doing great.

Period 5....Austin, Gambino, Alosco..you guys behaving back there. Sibley..thanks for the email..Man Have I got some Russian redneck stories for you!

Finally..Period 6...At 12:20 every day..Ukraine time..I shake in me shoes.
I'll be back before you know it. Toomany of you to address individually, please give me a great Christmas present...and study for your quizzes

I miss all of you guys!!!! Take care and we'll catch up soon enough.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog has been the best Christmas present anyone could have given me. I am so excited every morning when I check it. This is what Christmas is all about - families being together, even if it takes years.

Love you all,

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Lisa and Matt,

It must be so hard for you to have to do so much driving each day to see your girls. Trying to think of a silver lining for you regarding that, though...

When we had all three of ours together at our visits, it made it harder to bond with them individually since we were constantly "sharing" our short visits with everyone. We had to constantly be aware of how long we were holding each one, how many hugs/kisses/etc. for each one, etc. It just made it tough to really focus on the child in our lap when we were constantly worried about the jealous looks of the other two.

By the time we took them out of the orphanage, we hadn't had enough quality time with the kids individually for them to fully trust us... These one-on-one times you are having might be extremely crucial -especially with that 10 hr. plane ride on the horizon...

Praying for a smooth transition for you all!

Oh, and be prepared for a World Class Tantrum from one or both of your girls regarding their First Bath. I'd clip their nails first; I seem to recall some major scratching, biting, kicking and screaming over that one... *shudder* (Isn't it wonderful that it's finally YOUR turn to experience all of this?) :O)

((hugs))

Shelly

PS I LOVE the girls' names, btw... "Victory at Christmastime..." I don't know whether you changed their birthnames, or if they were their originals, but wow, are they Very aptly named or what!! I just love 'em!

Sue said...

Sounds like that little one is in charge already LOL!! I cant even imagine how torn you are between both girls but soon they will both be on a plane home with you being spoiled rotten by the best Mommy and Daddy in the world.