Monday, January 15, 2007

Back in Kyiv- almost HOME!!!!!!

Hello Again!

Well, we're back in Kyiv- the capital city of Ukraine and of course, this is where we have got the WORST internet connection of all- so let me just say that to everyone who sent me e-mails privately, THANK YOU, but I can not respond because every time I try, it kicks me off the internet. I promise to try again after posting this entry.

I'll just take a few moments to cover what's happened up until now. Matt will follow with more colorful commentary for all of you blog junkies.

We left Yalta on January 8th for Kerch. The "plan" (always a dangerous thing to make here in Ukraine) was to get the girls' birth certificates filed on the 9th when everyone returned from the long holiday break- go get Vica from the orphanage and then get outta there.

WRONG!!! Apparently, the only thing you could do at the open of business was file death certificates- no matter what our translator tried, nothing could be done until the next day. It was so depressing to go and tell Vica she would have to wait one more day to leave the orphanage forever. We got some things done, then hit the ground running the next day. By one o'clock we were on the road with Vica. We drove the 3 1/2 hours from Kerch to Simferopol, Alla did some business to get the ball rolling for the passports, then we returned "home" to Yalta which was another hour plus long ride. Vica didn't complain ONCE!! She was in awe of everything going on around her and was just sweet as could be. The next day we returned to Simferopol to do more paperwork and collect more blue stamps while Vica spent some quality time with her "Babushka" Mom said she was into everything and VERY VERY funny. She said Vica is like a little old lady, just chattering away about everything, extremely inquisitive and just a joy to be around.

Dana if you're reading this, Mom said Vica reminds her exactly of you when you were that age ! :) :) :) :)

To make a looooooooooong story short, we got the passports, got Natasha out of the orphanage on Saturday and then hit the road to catch the train in Simferopol. Natasha was great until we got to the train station. She just kind of looked around with this really sweet smile on her face and completely without any warning whatsoever proceeded to vomit about a gallon of cabbage soup all over the place. My girl managed not to get any on her brand new clothes, or her Papa which is pretty good considering. After Matt and I stopped laughing, we got everything cleaned up and she was good to go. These girls spent 16 hours in a train and they were PERFECT. Matt actually stayed with them in one compartment and I got to hang out with my Mom- how great is that! The three kids had a blast together, and get this, Matt even took them to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I know this may just be the honeymoon phase of everything, but I can not tell you all how thankful I am that the train ride was nothing like the nightmare I pictured- it gave me hope that I won't have to medicate myself or anyone else on the plane ride coming home.

Today we took the girls for the medical exam and we have our appointment for visas at the Embassy tomorrow morning. Then it's just killin' time until we get on the plane Friday.

Oh, have I mentioned anywhere or at any time that I CAN NOT WAIT TO GET HOME!!!!!!!!

This adoption has been easy compared what some other parents have had to endure, and it has been a nightmare compared with some others- but regardless of anything that has come to pass, it was worth every single stinkin' second of it to bring these two girls home and I'd do it again in a second and put up with far far more to be called Mama by my Vica and Natasha.

Oh, also some of you have contacted me regarding meeting at the airport. If you would like to, we would love it if you were there. The girls are real troopers, they are pretty good around other people, although they take a while to warm up. I can't promise ANYTHING though!! But, please, please, please keep this in mind. We are landing at 3:30 on Friday the 19th, this will put us on the road from JFK right at rush hour. For those of you who want so badly to make the girls arrival as the United States newest litle citizens, nothing would make me happier, but I don't want anyone to go to too much trouble.

I probably will not post again before we leave for home. The girls keep me pretty busy already :) I can't wait to see you all at home and for you all to meet them!

Love to you all, Lisa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Sicilian Family, You are almost there, Thank God! I miss you and cant wait to come visit @ 11 Ellen Dr. I pray every day for you guys! Stay safe, and Lisa, I cant wait to sit in
your dining rm with a cup of joe & a bag on my head and the girls running around like hooligans (Arlyn word) and listening to all the details of your trip. I feel like you have been gone forever so hurry up home! All my love, Tracy

Anonymous said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHH YOU'RE COMING HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!
lol *spazz*

Have a safe trip home.

P.S. I seriously think I should take the girls shopping. LOL

much love!

-Caitlin